St. George's Cathedral has several groups active within the Cathedral and within the broader Cape Town community:
We participate in services by assisting the clergy, and often visiting clergy, to execute a fulfilling and enriching service for those in attendance. Servers assist in the following ways:
- Setting up and cleaning up at the altar for services;
- During worship by carrying the processional cross, lighting candles, holding the Gospel Book, holding the candles (torches), swinging a censer or thurible, carrying the incense boat and any other task as needed by the priest;
- By attending training sessions every few weeks to ensure that all duties are carried out properly;
- Cleaning of the Cathedral before big occasions such as Christmas and Easter.
Servers have the opportunity to join the Diocese Guild of the Servers of the Sanctuary. It aims to raise the spiritual tone of altar servers, to promote conscientious performance of the duties of altar service. Special Guild services are held every second month on a Sunday afternoon.
Please contact Catherine if you would like to become an altar server:
- Catherine de Jong – mobile: (083 293 5488)
Other groups include:
- Healing Ministry
- Flower Guild
Please contact the
for further information and to participate in the activities of the groups.